Gardening

Monday, June 19, 2023

Watering garden tricks and tips

 Watering garden tricks and tips.

Hello my peeps. We finally got rain for our gardens yesterday. Which made me realize I needed to get this page done and shared. 

It is always best to water first thing in the morning. Second best is early evening. The heat of the day would take a lot more water. Also, you can burn a plant. So, if you have no choice but to water during the heat of the day try to get as close to the ground as possible. If you have no choice but to water at night don't water too heavily. And again, water close to the ground.


My first tip is I run 3 dehumidifiers in my basement. I will use this water for my porch containers and/or my flower boxes I have built on the rails. This keeps the chlorine out of your garden. And does double duty to recycle. 


I also use old milk. Everyone here drinks dif milk, lol. I drink 2%, my daughter drinks Lactaid, and my hubby has his half n half for his coffee. I also buy heavy cream for recipes. So, if they get outdated on you. If you have just a little left right before your grocery shopping. I add water to it, about doubling the amount that I started with. Adding water also allows you to have time to water. It can be left out over night until you are ready. This can be added to your calcium loving plants. I def give to my tomatoes, below is the best list to go by. Of course, it is not all inclusive.

  • Apples
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Cherries
  • Citrus
  • Melons
  • Grapes
  • Lettuce
  • Peaches
  • Pears
  • Potatoes
  • Tobacco
  • Tomatoes


Starch water-

Boiled potatoes, rice, and pasta you should not put the starch water down the drain. Remember it is sticky, and a thickener. Which is why you keep a little for sauces n gravy. So, I have a pitcher that I put cold water in first. Then I lay the strainer on top and drain whatever starch water I can. I let it cool down completely. I use this on my house plants for a fertilizer. Warning, please make sure you are safe. No glass containers and if plastic make sure it's a thick plastic and you add your cold water first.

Coffee and Tea:

Don't throw out old tea and coffee. Old grounds, or from the pot, and pitcher (no sugar please). Add it to your soil or water plants with it!


Please make sure it is legal in your state! Illinois got legal several years ago. I know Arizona and California are NOT legal


RTS Home Accents 551000655A5681, Woodgrain with Black Stripes Polyethylene 50 Gallon Flat Back Rain Barrel with Stand, Color

 


Please click on the following link to access the next Gardening section: Garden Pests- Ticks, Chiggers, Mosquitos, and Gnats

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can request a review but keep everything short n clean

Gardening

Ice skating, Ice hockey

  This website contains links to products that are part of affiliate programs. If you click on these links and make a purchase, I may earn a...

Outdoorlighting